View Profile EagleGuard

1 Movie Review

Nice

Good for a beginner. Keep it up

1 Game Review

Good

Nice twist on an old concept. I like how the game becomes increasingly difficult, but not to the extent that it becomes impossible to beat. Although the gameplay itself isn't the most innovative thing, it works well, even though it's fairly simple.

The music is nice, and even though it is the same all the time, it doesn't really bore the player, which is a good thing. The rest of the sound effects are simple, but they suffice.

Perhaps it would've been a good idea to implement some kind of achievement system, to keep the player motivated.

All in all, a good game. 7/10

67 Audio Reviews

Good stuff! This track somehow reminds me of the music one would hear in a Timesplitters game or other fast-paced shooters from that era.

I can hear you've been going for a quality > quantity type of workflow as of late, which is a good thing. There are lots of small details in the overall mix that really add to the atmosphere.

If I were to be nitpicky, I'd say the attack on the kick drum is a bit too much "in your face". Increasing the attack a little bit (that is: making the slope less steep) might give it slightly more room to "breathe". Other than that, I don't think I can add much to DKPUser3678's review.

Looking forward to part 2!

BlighterProductions responds:

Love your review, together with DKP’s review. Thanks a lot for the compliments. I can’t wait to hear your projects when they come to Newgrounds.

Nice work dude! You've really managed to nail the Mass Effect / Jean-Michel Jarre vibe with this one.

The transitions between the sections work really well, and there's a nice steady pulse flowing throughout the piece. I could really see this being used in a movie scene or video game.

One thing I would suggest, though, is to try to increase the amount of headroom in the mix. As you can see in the waveform itself, the sound is quite heavily limited, and you can actually hear the compression quite well. This is great for when you're trying to achieve a sort of "pumping" effect, but can be become quite tiresome for your ears at some point, especially when it's applied to the entire mix.

I would try to embrace the dynamics a bit more in your future productions, rather than trying to reduce them. Your final waveform should ideally reflect this as well, but that's just my two cents.

Overall, great work, though! Keep up the good work!

BlighterProductions responds:

Thanks a lot for the review. I got a bit inspired by the song Opening (movement 8) from Jarre’s Equinoxe Infinity album, or Night Ride by Kensuke Ushio, which has a similar style.

And thanks for letting me know about the compression. That was a thing that bothered me for longer, but I couldn’t trace back to what it was. I’ll take it into account for my next productions.

Yours sincerely.

I really like the overall atmosphere of the song. You managed to capture a retro 70s/80s electronic vibe that you don't hear very often these days. I can clearly hear the inspiration from Jean-Michel Jarre as well as some other progressive influences. Good stuff!

In terms of mixing, I'd personally recommend cutting down the muddy frequencies a bit and evening out the volumes a bit. There is sufficient clarity, but the overall mix sounds slightly too "full" in my opinion. The difference in volume between the intro and the first section is also slightly too big in my ears.

I personally think there is sufficient variation for this type of music, though it seems that's down to personal taste. It's very hard to keep a piece interesting for roughly 8.5 minutes, and I think you have done a good job in that regard.

Overall, I have to say I'm impressed! Keep up the good work!

BlighterProductions responds:

Hey man. Tons of thanks for your review. Your in-depth review really helps me understanding how it is being received. Your kinds words also make me feel better.

Good to hear from you too.

1 Art Review

Good

Nice, lot's of detail, but could use a bit more variation in colours.

Hi, I write/compose/create music.

Arend van Stenis @EagleGuard