View Profile EagleGuard

1 Movie Review

Nice

Good for a beginner. Keep it up

1 Game Review

Good

Nice twist on an old concept. I like how the game becomes increasingly difficult, but not to the extent that it becomes impossible to beat. Although the gameplay itself isn't the most innovative thing, it works well, even though it's fairly simple.

The music is nice, and even though it is the same all the time, it doesn't really bore the player, which is a good thing. The rest of the sound effects are simple, but they suffice.

Perhaps it would've been a good idea to implement some kind of achievement system, to keep the player motivated.

All in all, a good game. 7/10

66 Audio Reviews

Good stuff! There's a nice, dark tone to it that makes it really suitable for ambience. It really sounds like "Oldskool Newgrounds" material to me.

Perhaps one point of improvement in terms of mixing would be to tone down the high-end of the "open hi-hat" a bit. It sounds a bit harsh to my ears, and toning it down would make it easier to listen to.

Keep up the good work!

Hey man, sorry to hear you're not that into creating music anymore these days. Having to force yourself to do something is likely to suck the fun out of any activity at some point, which is probably what you're experiencing right now. In that regard it makes perfect sense to take a break from making music for a while.

That said, you could always still produce music on the side, right? To me, it almost seems like an "all or nothing" decision now, but if it's something you enjoyed doing before, why not keep it as a simple "hobby" rather than a forced "passion"? I personally think it'd be a shame if you were to throw the baby out with the bathwater, especially since your skills have developed a lot over the last years.

I do admire your dedication to look for things that you're passionate about, though. In that sense, I agree that you really should be doing stuff because you like doing it, not because you feel pressured to do so. Perhaps letting go of the pressure might even create new passions for old hobbies.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us, and I wish you all the best!

RealFaction responds:

After 12 years, I guess I got tired of it, but the point of all this was, I think I got tired of it years ago. Sometimes it was fun, but I always was hard on myself and I wasn't doing it for myself, but to be noticed. I want to find something I can do for me. But yeah, basically what you said.

No. I don't want to make music at all anymore. It's not fun anymore as I said. I just can't find it in me to want to anymore, there's no substance in it for just me. After so many years, I guess I got burned out and bored. I want to be true to myself.

It is a shame though, I do want to say I'm good at it, or at least decent, but all of this was imitation, I can't do anything anymore if I know it's an imitation, a mimic just for the attention. With the memories attached to this and why I did it, realizing it all now, I can't do it anymore. It would be destructive.

Well, yeah what you said in the last line. Old hobbies, maybe. I do kinda miss riding a bike around town and BMX'ing, used to do a bit of that as a kid. I have a lot more room now, so I'm just wondering what to do, I plan on seeing a psychologist and taking a career test, because right now I'm drawing a blank. I know some of the stuff I still like and what to do, but a lot of it is a bit of a mystery. I want to find something that expresses me, that I can pursue a career in.

Thanks! I'll be thinking a while on how to retire with style, a tribute video and maybe song to my past work. 12 years is a while. I know I'll still be doing the contests so those won't be going anywhere, or Talking Real, or voice acting.

Just saw your post in the audio advertisements thread about this piece being zero-bombed, so I thought I'd write a review to help you out a bit.

The piece certainly isn't as terrible as the votes so far might suggest, but unfortunately, it's just not very special either. There's not really a clear theme, nor is there any musical development. That said, I can actually imagine this being used as an ambient loop for a video game or something, so if that was your aim, you may well be on the right track.

The final mix is okay, but could be improved upon to really make it easy on the ears. The percussion is a bit too loud for my taste, and there's some distortion (clipping?) here and there. However, there is sufficient depth in the piece, which means the relative volumes of the individual tracks are alright. Side-chaining is a bit overdone in my taste, but that might be a personal preference thing.

My advice would be to focus on what kind of story you'd like to tell with your music. Right now, the piece doesn't really convey any mood at all, and in the end, music is all about expression and telling a story through sound (in my opinion, at least). Try thinking of a clear melody or interesting harmonic content, and try to develop that into something interesting. If you're able to fix the mixing issues as well, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something nice!

I have to give you credit for the loop of this piece, though: It's really seamless!

SierraRising responds:

Thank you, man. Thank you so much.
Sadly my goal was a full DnB trrack, so I guess I have very long ways to go on that.
I can definitely work the percussion through, but I am glad that it already has depth to it. I´ll take the sidechaining down a bit.
The story/mood of the track was kind of in the image I selected- that of dark, rusty cables in an enclosed space. Red, rusty brown and black- rich but foreboding colors. Sadly I couldn´t think of anyway to expand on that thought. However, I´ve listened over some of your cinematic pieces and I may catch some inspiration from those.
Thank you very much for giving me a chance and lending some good advice, I truly appreciate it.

1 Art Review

Good

Nice, lot's of detail, but could use a bit more variation in colours.

Hi, I write/compose/create music.

Arend van Stenis @EagleGuard