View Profile EagleGuard

1 Movie Review

Nice

Good for a beginner. Keep it up

1 Game Review

Good

Nice twist on an old concept. I like how the game becomes increasingly difficult, but not to the extent that it becomes impossible to beat. Although the gameplay itself isn't the most innovative thing, it works well, even though it's fairly simple.

The music is nice, and even though it is the same all the time, it doesn't really bore the player, which is a good thing. The rest of the sound effects are simple, but they suffice.

Perhaps it would've been a good idea to implement some kind of achievement system, to keep the player motivated.

All in all, a good game. 7/10

66 Audio Reviews

I really like the overall atmosphere of the song. You managed to capture a retro 70s/80s electronic vibe that you don't hear very often these days. I can clearly hear the inspiration from Jean-Michel Jarre as well as some other progressive influences. Good stuff!

In terms of mixing, I'd personally recommend cutting down the muddy frequencies a bit and evening out the volumes a bit. There is sufficient clarity, but the overall mix sounds slightly too "full" in my opinion. The difference in volume between the intro and the first section is also slightly too big in my ears.

I personally think there is sufficient variation for this type of music, though it seems that's down to personal taste. It's very hard to keep a piece interesting for roughly 8.5 minutes, and I think you have done a good job in that regard.

Overall, I have to say I'm impressed! Keep up the good work!

BlighterProductions responds:

Hey man. Tons of thanks for your review. Your in-depth review really helps me understanding how it is being received. Your kinds words also make me feel better.

Good to hear from you too.

Good stuff! There's a nice, dark tone to it that makes it really suitable for ambience. It really sounds like "Oldskool Newgrounds" material to me.

Perhaps one point of improvement in terms of mixing would be to tone down the high-end of the "open hi-hat" a bit. It sounds a bit harsh to my ears, and toning it down would make it easier to listen to.

Keep up the good work!

Hey man, sorry to hear you're not that into creating music anymore these days. Having to force yourself to do something is likely to suck the fun out of any activity at some point, which is probably what you're experiencing right now. In that regard it makes perfect sense to take a break from making music for a while.

That said, you could always still produce music on the side, right? To me, it almost seems like an "all or nothing" decision now, but if it's something you enjoyed doing before, why not keep it as a simple "hobby" rather than a forced "passion"? I personally think it'd be a shame if you were to throw the baby out with the bathwater, especially since your skills have developed a lot over the last years.

I do admire your dedication to look for things that you're passionate about, though. In that sense, I agree that you really should be doing stuff because you like doing it, not because you feel pressured to do so. Perhaps letting go of the pressure might even create new passions for old hobbies.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us, and I wish you all the best!

JohnnyGuy responds:

After 12 years, I guess I got tired of it, but the point of all this was, I think I got tired of it years ago. Sometimes it was fun, but I always was hard on myself and I wasn't doing it for myself, but to be noticed. I want to find something I can do for me. But yeah, basically what you said.

No. I don't want to make music at all anymore. It's not fun anymore as I said. I just can't find it in me to want to anymore, there's no substance in it for just me. After so many years, I guess I got burned out and bored. I want to be true to myself.

It is a shame though, I do want to say I'm good at it, or at least decent, but all of this was imitation, I can't do anything anymore if I know it's an imitation, a mimic just for the attention. With the memories attached to this and why I did it, realizing it all now, I can't do it anymore. It would be destructive.

Well, yeah what you said in the last line. Old hobbies, maybe. I do kinda miss riding a bike around town and BMX'ing, used to do a bit of that as a kid. I have a lot more room now, so I'm just wondering what to do, I plan on seeing a psychologist and taking a career test, because right now I'm drawing a blank. I know some of the stuff I still like and what to do, but a lot of it is a bit of a mystery. I want to find something that expresses me, that I can pursue a career in.

Thanks! I'll be thinking a while on how to retire with style, a tribute video and maybe song to my past work. 12 years is a while. I know I'll still be doing the contests so those won't be going anywhere, or Talking Real, or voice acting.

1 Art Review

Good

Nice, lot's of detail, but could use a bit more variation in colours.

Hi, I write/compose/create music.

Arend van Stenis @EagleGuard