-Music Video-Lemon Tree- -Music Video-Lemon Tree-

Nice

Good for a beginner. Keep it up

Pengu Vs. Zombies Pengu Vs. Zombies

Good

Nice twist on an old concept. I like how the game becomes increasingly difficult, but not to the extent that it becomes impossible to beat. Although the gameplay itself isn't the most innovative thing, it works well, even though it's fairly simple.

The music is nice, and even though it is the same all the time, it doesn't really bore the player, which is a good thing. The rest of the sound effects are simple, but they suffice.

Perhaps it would've been a good idea to implement some kind of achievement system, to keep the player motivated.

All in all, a good game. 7/10

Simple Sight (Part 2 Instrumental) Simple Sight (Part 2 Instrumental)

Cool stuff! I can really hear the inspiration from the original song (especially in terms of instruments), but at the same time it's fresh enough to keep things interesting.

I really liked the build-up at the beginning and the themes you've used are catchy and varied. Overall, it's a really nice tune, and a worthy successor!

That said, there are a few quirks you could keep in mind for future releases. Although there's a good amount separation in the mix (which is great), the stereo mix is a bit too wide in my opinion. In combination with the high amount of compression and low bass-frequencies, this puts slightly too much pressure on the ears (or at least mine). Perhaps you could consider increasing the dynamic range in your mix a bit, so that the ears have a bit more room to 'breathe'. In addition, the ending is a bit too sudden for my taste, but I guess that just comes down to personal preference.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable piece; keep up the good work!

RealFaction responds:

I guess it's just my style of mixing. Sorry about that. Thanks though.

Mix Test Mix Test

Since this is a mix test, I'll purely review the mixing aspect of the song here (no rating is given for composition).

First of all, compression is a lot more subtle than it used to be in your songs, which is good. I'm personally not a fan of the 'pumping effect' you get when things are overcompressed, so definitely an improvement in that regard.

EQ could still use some tweaking here, though. Right now, the mix is too harsh, causing ear fatigue quickly. I had to cut the frequencies from 2khz and up by -6db to make it easier on the ears (and even then there was a lot of "crunch").

The stereo image could use some work as well. If you use stereo imaging software (e.g. a goniometer), you'll see that this mix isn't really mono-compatible. Guitar parts fade away too much right now when you're summing to mono. After analysing each frequency type (low, mid, mid-high, high), I came to the conclusion that there's simply too much stereo information in your mix. Try to use as little side information as possible (especially in the bass parts of your mix), and the clarity of your mix should increase drastically. Doubling guitars naturally creates some side information, but make sure it's balanced.

Some general tips:
- Compare your own mix with an existing mix you think sounds good.
- Make sure your mix is at least somewhat mono-compatible.
- Keep it simple. Try not to 'overmix' your song.

Hope this helped! If anything is not clear, feel free to drop a response :)

RealFaction responds:

damn....this is hard. Thanks for the help.

Cyborg Pirates WIP Cyborg Pirates WIP

I like the concept behind your song: it has a nice dark and epic kind of feel to it. It also really reminds me of the works of Waterflame; perhaps your source of inspiration?

Right now, I think that there are too many transients at work here. The track is quite harsh / piercing, making it hard to listen to. Keep in mind that this is not just a mixing problem per se: your arrangement plays a big part here as well. Specifically, if you're mainly using percussive / staccato sounds to build up your track, it will cause ear fatigue in no time.

Regarding structure, an easy way to "fix" this is to simply write down your song structure, similar to how you would with a poem (A - A - B - B, for example). There's plenty examples of common musical form on the internet that you could use as a reference guide :)

All in all, I like the concept, but there is still work to be done here. 3/5

Malifex responds:

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I plan to add in melodic parts, and smooth/vary things out a little :p just wanted to throw some ideas together. It does cause fatigue extremely quickly in its current state.

Thanks for the feedback ^^

Spiderbot Spiderbot

Good

Nice, lot's of detail, but could use a bit more variation in colours.